Thursday, December 4, 2008

Recent News

My first blog! Let's do some catchup news first. I applied to study abroad for the second half of my 3rd year in Australia though UC Berkeley's Education Abroad Program (EAP). Thank you, thank you again to my two professors who wrote me letters of recommendation. You were right, I did get in! =) A week or so ago, I officially got accepted to The Australia National University, henceforth ANU, which is in Canberra, the nation's capital. Yes, that's right, neither Sydney nor Melbourne is the capital of Australia. Strange huh? but I suppose it's just like the US with Washington DC as its capital. Actually Canberra was modeled after DC's city plan! the roads are concentric and the city feels like a giant park with tons of trees and yet is very clean and neat. ANU is right next to downtown and it's inland, no where near the Pacific Ocean, although there is a huge lake called Lake Griffin right next to the school (its manmade). apparently ANU is the nation's top ranked school, surpassing even university of melbourne AND sydney. but of course, those two are so much more popular than ANU (this school was my 3rd and last choice....) i guess no one wants to go inland to the desert. Oh and their school year starts in February and it'll be summer for them and winter for us here. So I'm be attending their "fall semester" while its summer....hence they call it term 1 and term 2 instead of fall or spring semester least the confusion. So, that means i'll be doing my spring semester in australia while it'll be the beginning of their academic year.

More recent news: both me and sean (my bf) got Bruce Hall as a dormitory!! (or as they say, a college).

let's break it down, shall we?


Australian | American
school = grade school
college = dorm
hall = dorm
so how would Australians say something like: so, what college are you going to?
answer: so, what uni do you go to?

ahhh *enlightened*

other things i've already noticed:
they spell enrollment with only one L, like this: enrolment. isnt that so weird?? and they don't say schedule. they say timetable. like in harry potter! =D they dont's say apartment, they say flat instead. isn't that so britsh? ive learned how to say melbourne the right way now. you don't pronounce the r and the u is there to confuse you. so it sounds like more melburn cept with a britsh accent. lol i don't know. everyone already tells me to pick up the accent there, especially seeing that i'm a linguistics major. well...that doesn't have to do with anything! (but secretly, i do want to pick it up, that would be really cool)

at this point, i think you viewers are getting to know my writing...er...blogging style somewhat now. i apologize in advance that i dont usually capitalize my "I's" or anything in general actually, that i write lots and lots of run on sentences, or if i make any typos, if i'm not making any sense, and in general, you don't get my abbreviations or emoticons.

-BUT-

feel free to comment, actually, please comment!! i love comments and i will try to update as much as i can, with some pictures too, when i get the chance!

thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. i'm super excited to study in canberra!! wish me luck! ^^v

2 comments:

Winnie said...

hehe yay for your first blog! =D
i'm excited for you!! congrats for getting in.. heh so happy for u and sean. both of you are lucky for having the opportunity to experience it together =)). Since it starts in February, that means i get to see you longer.. yay =D

大B said...

blogging....MY IDEA!!!haha